Week 12 Story: The Party

Ali was walking with the Tweedle sisters, Diana and Diedra, having a hard time following their story. One sister would start part of the story then the other would finish it. She decided that they were twins, because how else would they be able to read each other's mind.



The three of them were walking along a path and Ali heard more music. But it was different from that at the White Butterfly's soiree. This was more like a rave Ali had been to before. As they walked closer to the music Ali could see the lights from the party. "What is going on up there?" asked Ali.

"Oh that, that is the Hatter's place," said Diana

"She has all the best parties," said Diedra.

"Sometimes even the Queen shows up," said Diana.

"When she is in a particularly good mood that is," said Diedra.

"It sounds like a rave. You're telling me that a Queen raves?" Ali asked the sisters surprised.

"What is a, rave?" the sisters asked in unison.

 The three girls arrive at the Hatter's house. Under a large tree in front of the house was a large dance floor with several intimate seating areas around the edge of the floor. "For throwing the best parties, you would think there would be more people here." Said Ali.

"Well time is stuck at six o'clock here at the Hatter's," said Diedra

"Since she and time got into an argument last year," said Diana as they sat down beside the Hatter.

She was sitting with her back towards them, facing the DJ booth where there was a Dormouse and a March Hare. Ali pulls out her phone to take a picture of what was in front of her then sat down in a large arm-chair. The Hatter turned around and stared at Ali like she knew her from somewhere.

Photo by Rodolfo Sanches Carvalho on Unsplash


"Your hair wants to be cut darling," said the Hatter "by the way I am Tinsley Hatter but everyone calls me Hatter."

"I'm Ali, and that was rather blunt about my hair." Ali continued, "why do they call you the Hatter?"

"My father was THE Hatter of the whole kingdom. I dabble in hat making but I prefer the parties that everyone wears them too," said Tinsley.

"My Grandmother told me stories about a Hatter when I was younger. Can you take a selfie with me so I can show her when I return home?" Ali asked.

"Sure but only if you can solve my riddle." said Tinsley with a wild grin on her face, "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

"Oh I love this song shall we dance?" said the Tweedle sisters in unison. As soon as the words were out of their mouths everyone was on the dance floor. What felt like an eternity dancing the dance floor became crowded with people.

"Ali! Tea?! I want to know if you solved the riddle yet?" yelled Tinsley over the music.

Photo by Anita Austvika on Unsplash


Ali and Tinsley sat down in a different arm-chair than before. "So?!" asked Tinsley as soon as they sat down. Her eyes opened wide waiting for an answer.

Ali thought hard about the stories her grandmother Alice told her when she was little. "I haven't the slightest idea why a raven is like a writing desk," she said.

"Me either!" Laughed Tinsley. She agreed to take a selfie with Ali even though she was confused by the whole thing and the small device in Ali's pocket. The Tweedle sisters sat down beside Tinsley.

"My dearest Tweedles I absolutely love your Muchness. Please do not ever lose it," said Tinsley taking a drink of her tea.

"Now why would we want to lose our Muchness," said Diedra

"That would be such an awful thing if we did," continued Diana laughing as she took a bite of her cupcake.

"Tinsley, tell me is it true that your Queen raves?" Ali asked

"Of course she does! Would you like to meet her?" before Ali had a chance to answer Tinsley said, "Come. This way is a short cut to her castle."

"Oh you must meet her!" said Diana excitedly.

"She is a delight!" said Diedra.

"Tweedles, shhh! You know she doesn't like surprises." Tinsley said as she led them through a door in a tree.

Author's Note: 

This is going along with my storybook project for the class. In Carroll's version when Alice meets the Mad Hatter, the Tweedles are not there and Alice, the March Hare, the Dormouse, and the Hatter are rather rude to each other. Time is stuck at six o'clock at the Hatters because the Queen said he was "murdering time" so that is why there is a large number of tea settings out in Carroll's novel. In my version of Wonderland, the characters are the next generation of the original characters. I left out the Dormouse and the March Hare, besides mentioning them, to save space and try to keep this story shorter. The Dormouse brings up muchness in the story he tells about the three sisters in a well. The riddle is from Carroll's version, the Hatter reveals the answer of "I haven't the slightest idea." I decided to have Ali say it in a way that she had given up on the riddle. In Carroll's version, Alice finds the tea-party to be stupid and doesn't want to return to that party again when she is leaving. Alice sees a door in a tree that has a long hallway, with a table and a key like when she first fell down the rabbit hole. 

Story Source: story source: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865) The Mad-Tea Party

Images:

two girls in stripe shirts Photo by Grizzly Hn on Unsplash 

Girl in a hat, Photo by Rodolfo Sanches Carvalho on Unsplash
ceramic cup and saucer, Photo by Anita Austvika on Unsplash 

Comments

  1. Hey Megan!

    I loved your use of pictures throughout the piece because they really did help me mentally see the story as it was unfolding. The dialogue was engaging and easy to follow as well, making the story very enjoyable! I think the characters having similar names was a little confusing to myself because I have trouble following it when it is like that, but if you included a brief sentence a little bit more into the piece describing each character a bit more it would help me distinguish them a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muneeb! The Tweedle sisters are based of Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. Diana and Diedra are related to Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, hence why it is hard to follow them. I did it on purpose, so the reader will feel how confused Ali is. Check out my full storybook: https://sites.google.com/view/the-adventures-of-alice/home

      Delete
  2. Megan,

    I liked your retelling of this story. It's one that I'd like to think I know pretty well. My girlfriend loves it and makes me watch the movies about it with her all the time. If I were to add any constructive criticism it would just be to make grammatical and setting based checks. For example, in the first paragraph, "Ali heard more music" confused me a bit at first because there wasn't prior mention of music. It's nothing major and easily fixed, just thought I should give some sort of constructive feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh sorry about that. In my storybook project for the class I am retelling Alice in wonderland. I took this as a perfect opportunity to write another piece of the story from the larger story. In the previous story they just left the White Butterfly named Margaret Absolute soiree with the other butterflies. that story is based off when Alice met the caterpillar.

      Delete

Post a Comment